Find it fast!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart



Where do I begin with this tart....should I rave about the delicious caramel? The way it is buttery and  silky smooth and so delicious? Or should I tell you how the texture is just right, not too runny and not the hard kind that sticks to your teeth but how instead its absolute liquid gold? How about the fact that this is a no-bake dessert... and that you can throw it together using only a single pot? Or how about the cool part where you can make it and store it in your freezer to enjoy with guests or just whenever you feel like it...or not store it at all and eat it within an hour? IF, and that is a huge if, its not all gone by the end of one sitting it'll stay nice and tasty whenever you reach for it (just make sure to seal it properly).


Nah, I don't think I'll tell you about any of those things. Instead I'll tell you that it's gross and you shouldn't make it. Because I'm almost tempted to keep this one all to myself, I'm kind of attached to it. It's just so EASY. And so GOOD. And people LOVE it. I don't think I need to really say anything though because these pictures are doing all the talking...


If you follow me on instagram (and if you don't you absolutely SHOULD!) you know I've been working on this tart recipe for a while. I wanted it to be perfect before I passed it on. Perfect means optimal flavor with minimal work. Something even a beginning cook/baker can make. And here it is...it's so simple you don't even need an oven! These tarts started out in individual form, but that requires a special pan, so to make them easier to assemble I'm providing instructions to make them in a regular 9 inch tart pan. If you have the mini tart pans, go ahead and do that, they're beautiful but take a little bit more time to put together.


Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients, I've just split it up into layers to make it easy to know how to put it together. This is a simple dessert that just seems complex when you present it, which is the SavvyChef style ;) When you make this make sure to tag SavvyChef on facebook or instagram...I love seeing what you guys have done and would love to feature you on my page :)


Makes a 9 inch tart...servings depends on how strong your self control is. Ranges from 1 to 12 people

Ingredients
--------------
Crust:
-24 Oreos (or other chocolate wafer)
-4 tablespoons chocolate fudge sauce (something thick, not the liquidy syrup)
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla
*you can replace the fudge with 4 tablespoons butter, but fudge tastes better ;)

Salted Caramel:
-8 tablespoons butter (1/2 cup=1 quarter stick)
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/4 cup heavy cream

Ganache:
-2/3 cup heavy cream
-1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate (I use a combination of Guittard milk and semi sweet chips)

-1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
-3/4 cup toffee bits or chopped toasted almonds

To make
-----------
-In a food processor pulse the oreos, salt and vanilla until they are well crushed into crumbs (you could also do this step in a ziplock bag and mash the oreos). If your fudge is too thick, warm it in a pot for a quick minute and then add it to the crushed Oreos and pulse in the food processor until well combined. Spray or butter a 9 inch tart pan and firmly press the Oreos into the pan, pushing up along the edges to create a crust. Place in your freezer to set.
-Heat a pot on medium heat and add the butter, brown sugar and sea salt, mixing until dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil then let it simmer for 2 minutes. This is what will thicken your caramel. Remove the pot from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream, stirring gently until smooth. Allow the caramel to cool for 5 minutes then remove your tart pan from the freezer and evenly pour the caramel over the crust. Return to the freezer to let the caramel firm up.
-Wipe down your pot with a clean napkin and reheat it on the stove. Pour 2/3 cup of heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Turn off the stove and add 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Leave the mixture for a few minutes and then mix the melted chocolate into the heavy cream until smooth. Remove the tart from the freezer and spread the chocolate ganache evenly over the FROZEN caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt and top with toffee pieces or almonds.
-Place the tart in the fridge until the ganache has set. Serve this dessert chilled. If I am taking it out of my home I keep it in the freezer beforehand so it can retain a cold temperature as it travels.
-Slice, serve and enjoy!

The final layer...almost time to dig in!


Experimenting with different toppings


I'd love to connect with you! Like SavvyChef on facebook and follow Savvy_Chef on instagram. Tag Savvychef in your creations and pin the recipes on pintrest :)

5 comments:

  1. O.EM.GGGGGGGGGGG. is this real???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw it, pinned it, tried it, LOVED IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this soon but need an occasion. If I make it for my family only, I'll most likely eat it all :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these yesterday! I bought a mini tart pan especially for these hehe...any excuse to buy kitchen stuff. I used butter and added an extra 2 tablespoons bc that's how we roll around here. Honestly we couldn't get enough of these and although its SO ANNOYING to make them in batches of 12 (because of the size of my tart pan) its worth the effort to have the mini ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I made this I used a pan and it was really difficult to cut. It got messed up and was stuck to the bottom. The next time I use a pan I'm going to line it with wax paper and hopefully that'll help.
    The second time I made I wanted to do the individuals but I didn't want to buy a mini tart pan, so I used a small muffin pan and baking/cupcake cups and they turned out so cute and came out of the cups perfectly...no sticking! The individuals obviously took more time (especially when pressing down the crust to make the cup shape) but they looked so adorable that I would totally repeat them for a small gathering.

    I don't think I need to talk about how delicious these are, the pictures do it justice! Pure amazingness.

    ReplyDelete