Find it fast!

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake



I consider this the dessert that changed my life. (How's that for drama?) I'll never forget the first time I tried it. A fellow baker friend brought it to a dinner party and it was the STAR of the dessert display. It was everyone's first exposure to this treat and watching the facial expressions as each person tried it was something awesome to witness!


My friend had found this recipe online and recreated it with her special flair. You'll find different versions of this floating around, and I've played with the ingredients and measurements until I've come up with what I consider the perfect ratio of everything. It's very rich and decadent, a little slice will take you far...but what a journey it will be!


Let me tell you a little something about this cake. Imagine yourself biting into a soft, crumbly, sweet, cozy bite of cookie dough with a sophisticated fresh cream....this is even better! You absolutely, positively, without a doubt, MUST refrigerate this in advance...I prefer 24 hours but overnight is acceptable. If you serve it right away you'll have 2 distinct textures in this cake. Firm cookies and cream. But...if you chill it as long as you should, the cookies will soften into the form of cookie dough and the cream will allow itself to meld into the cookies for one cohesive cake. Personally I love this cake the most on day 3 so if I'm preparing this for a party I'll get it safely layered and tucked in the fridge a couple days ahead of time. There's nothing more helpful for a hostess than pulling finished things out to serve on the day of an event!


Since I started making this, I've learned a few things (I estimate that I've made this over 100 times now). When I bake my cookies, I brown them extra...about 3-5 minutes past the point of a chewy cookie. This way they hold up better in the cake. Speaking of baking cookies, making the dough from scratch is a waste of effort on this one. I either use refrigerated cookie dough and bake it at home or I buy the cookies freshly baked from a local market. That's my preferred way for making this cake because then its just a matter of whipping the cream and layering. Less dishes and no baking! Even better, leftover cookies that have gone hard are PERFECT for this cake. Wrap them up tightly and throw them in the freezer until you're ready to make this. I'm sure that day will come sooner than you think because this is absolutely the MOST requested dessert recipe from my family and friends.  I always feel sorry for any other dessert on the table when this is part of the display because of the concentrated praise this one gets.



I've prepared this cake with every flavor cookie you can imagine. Peanut butter, white chocolate macadamia, chocolate brownie, red velvet, carrot cake, m&m....the list goes on and on. So play around and give it your special touch!

Serves 12

Ingredients
--------------
-2 cups heavy cream, very cold!
-1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
-1 tablespoon vanilla
-4 ounces mascarpone cheese
-2 pounds raw cookie dough, baked by 1 tablespoons OR about 42 pre-baked 2 inch cookies (from fresh bakery section of market, NOT packaged cookies like Chips Ahoy).
- optional: 1 cup chocolate chips (I use a variety of milk, semi sweet and white chips)


To make
-----------
-If working with raw cookie dough, bake cookies until browned, about 3-5 minutes past what you consider perfectly soft cookies. Let them cool completely.
-Using a whisk attachment on the highest setting of an electric mixer, combine CHILLED heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk until the mixture is well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes. DO NOT over-mix past the point of a fluffed whipped mixture or your heavy cream will separate and you will have to start over. Once the cream is whipped, add the mascarpone cheese and whip for 30-60 seconds more, until the mascarpone is mixed well with the whipped cream.
-In a 10.5 inch springform pan, place 10 cookies (depending on exact size) into the bottom. You will have to break up some of the cookies to fill the gaps around the edges and in the middle.
-Once you have a layer of cookies, take about 2/3 cup mascarpone cream and spread it over the cookie layer. I like to use a frosting spatula to keep this process smooth and even.
-Repeat the layers of cookies/cream/cookies/cream/cookies/cream until you have 4 layers of cookies and 4 layers of cream. Crumble the remaining 2 cookies on top of the final layer of cream and sprinkle chocolate chips.
-Cover and place in refrigerator for AT LEAST 12 hours. I never serve this before the 24 hour refrigeration mark.
-Once ready to serve, carefully run a butter knife along the edges of the cake to release cream from the sides. Release the springform latch and place the cake on a platter.
-Serve cold and enjoy!


Step 1: Layer the cookies in a flat layer, breaking them up to fill the gaps
Step 2: Spread a layer of cream, nice and smooth
Step 3: Repeat the layers until the cookies and cream are done!

Step 4: Refrigerate until ready to serve!

This cake has been to more parties than I can count!

Graduations!
Engagement parties!

5 comments:

  1. I've made this twice now for friends and family and each time everyone raved about this. It's so easy! I bought cookies so all I had to do was make the cream. I wasn't sure what the consistency was supposed to be and I was really worried about over whipping it. But one of the above pictures gave me a good idea of what it was supposed to look like. I was mixing on low lol so it definitely took longer than 2 mins (I'm a new baker!). It for sure needs AT LEAST 24 hours. I tried to cut into it after it had sat in the refrigerator for several hours and it fell apart. Will definitely be making this more often...it's just too easy and yummy not to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. most amazing dessert I've ever made. I totally had an OMG moment with the first bite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for a family reuinion and gave the recipe to no less than 30 people! We've gotten together in smaller groups about 5 times since then and each time this is what is requested of me. My family has tried tons of desserts that I've made, so its a huge thing that they keep requesting the same one again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this with different layers of cookies. Last time I did chocolate chip and peanut butter. knock you socks off good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. best.dessert.ever. so easy to make and everyone raved and raved and raved about it.

    ReplyDelete