Find it fast!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Grilled Vegetable and Couscous Salad


I sort of overdid it with the vegetables at my local farmer's market, and now I'm looking for creative ways to use them!
I've had a salad in the past that combined roasted veggies with couscous and I liked it a lot. After searching the internet for a good recipe, I didn't find one I was crazy about, so I basically made this up.

This looks very pretty because of the various colors. Feel free to play around with the veggie mixture, add or omit whatever you want. Other good additions would be artichoke hearts, corn, grilled onions or roasted garlic.

This salad has a bit of a Moroccan feel to it because of the couscous and coriander, but I'm not claiming any authenticity!

This can be served warm or cold. Serves about 4 adults.

Ingredients
------------
-2 cups arugula leaves (fresh spinach or baby spring mix also work)
-1 cup cooked couscous
-3 baby Japanese eggplants, thinly sliced
-1 medium sized yellow squash, thinly sliced
-1 medium sized zucchini, thinly sliced
-1 cup sliced mushrooms
-1 sliced red bell pepper (optional)
-1 cup baby tomatoes
-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Dressing
---------
-1 finely diced shallot
-zest and juice of 2 lemons
-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
-1/3 cup olive oil
-1 teaspoon coriander
-1 teaspoon paprika
-salt and pepper to taste

Assembly
----------
-Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and roast in an oven or on a grill. I used my GeorgeForeman grill.
-Layer the arugula, couscous and vegetables on a serving dish. Top with feta cheese.
-Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss ingredients together and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment