Find it fast!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Banana Nut Bread





Sooo....some of you may remember when I claimed this was the BEST banana bread recipe ever and to not bother trying another one...well, I've changed my mind :) That one is definitely good, but THIS is in another league! I played around a bit with the old recipe and came up with an improved version. Less oil and sugar, all banana and more of the moistness and texture that I loved from the first recipe.


Makes 16 servings.

Ingredients
------------
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup of sugar
-1/3 cup of oil
-4 medium sized bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
-2 teaspoons pumpkin butter (found in the jam section)
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

-1 2/3 cup flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (or cinnamon)
-1/2 teaspoon salt

-1 cup walnuts

Assembly
-----------
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spread walnuts on a baking sheet. Toast for 8-10 minutes, then chop roughly.
-Whisk sugar and eggs until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes. Drizzle in oil as you continue whisking. Add bananas, pumpkin butter and vanilla.
-In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Stir just until combined, do not overmix. 
-Spray a bundt pan OR 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and spread toasted walnuts onto the bottom of the bundt pan. Pour the batter over the walnuts. Bake for 44-50 minutes for bundt pan (baking time will be around 30-35 minutes for 2 loaf pans) or until center of cake is set.
-Slice and serve!

11 comments:

  1. SavvyCHef, thank you, thank you, thank YOU. This is the best banana bread recipe...beats my grandma's! I made this for an office potluck and it was the only dessert that was wiped clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just baked this and I replaced the walnuts (nut allergy) with chopped dates and I mixed them throughout. Other than that I followed the recipe to a T and it was soo good. I've been baking banana bread for 10 years and this is my go to recipe from now on. I loved the simplicity and low sugar/low oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baked this today for an office lunch and I was impressed with how moist it is, considering it only has 1/3 cup oil! And the bananas have so much sugar that I even cut back a little on the 1/2 cup sugar. I didn't have enough bananas so I stirred in shredded carrots and made it a banana carrot loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so good its unreal! I love that its low on sugar and oil but still irresistable and MOIST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten some questions regarding what to use if you don't have pumpkin butter. Using sour cream or greek yogurt in place of the pumpkin butter will give you a good dose of moisture :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this, delicious!!! I added a cup of shredded carrots and stirred in two tablespoons peanut butter instead of pumpkin butter. I also cut down the oil to 1/4 cup and can't say we missed the difference. Baked as muffins for 15 minutes. It was a guilt–free hit in our household

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made exactly according to instructions except swapped out oil for coconut oil, yum! My kids have already eaten half of it and its only been out of the oven for 2 hours

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this today exactly as written. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I make it weekly for my family and it goes fast. Amazingly perfect despite being low sugar/oil

    ReplyDelete
  10. I omitted the pumpkin butter and added an extra banana (5 small/medium sized) and baked it in my bundt pan.....plus I added chocolate chips hehe. I try to keep things healthy around here but late night baking combined with a strong chocolate craving resulted in this chocolate chip banana bread and I'm so glad I did it that way. A slice of this was the best start to our morning

    ReplyDelete