Find it fast!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Chocolate Fig Truffles



If you guys follow my instagram you'll notice I have a have a major summer fling with figs. I just can't get enough of that plump fruit and literally track each individual fig as it grows on my humble tree. Unfortunately the season (and my crop) is short lived and I'm left dreaming of the fruit throughout the rest of the year. Enter dried figs. Although not as amazing, they are still REALLY good and can fill in for their superiors 11 months out of the year.


This is a ridiculously healthy "dessert". It's the perfect treat with coffee or tea and the sweetness hits all the right spots without being decadent and heavy. I make a batch of these and keep them in a cute box in the pantry and they stay fresh and delicious for a couple months. 


The combination of flavors will really have you cautious (fig, ginger, orange zest and honey?), but proceed with confidence because these flavors compliment each other fabulously. It goes without saying that chocolate makes everything better, and in this case it rounds out the other strong flavors and makes them flow. I really love these :)


Try dipping the chocolate in nuts to customize to your liking! I like to use pistachios and honey roasted almonds. I'll even add some chopped candied orange peel to the nut mixture. So delish.


Makes 16 truffles

Ingredients
--------------
-1/8 cup crystallized ginger (use 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger if you must substitute OR use candied orange peel)
-2 cups dried figs
-2 tablespoons honey
-1/2 teaspoon orange zest
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate, pick your preference)

Optional: chopped nuts to dip truffles in

To make
------------
-Using a food processor, pulse the crystallized ginger until it breaks down until smooth. Add the dried figs, honey, orange zest, cinnamon and vanilla then continue processing until the whole mixture is a smooth paste. You may have a few chunks of figs remaining, which is OK. Taste the filling and adjust sweetness. The other flavors will become stronger after a few hours of sitting together).
-Prepare a tray lined with parchment paper. Scoop a scant tablespoon of filling and form into a ball. Repeat the process until you have used all of your filling. If you have the time, refrigerate (or freeze briefly) until the filling is firm. This makes it easier to roll them but is not a necessary step. 
-Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in your microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring briefly until all the chocolate is melted and smooth.
-Dip each truffle into the chocolate and tap off the excess chocolate. If using chopped nuts, place them in a small bowl and dip the top of each chocolate covered truffle. Place on the parchment paper and continue the process until all the truffles are dipped. If you run out of chocolate, melt some more and continue dipping!
-Leave the truffles undisturbed until the chocolate has set.
-Store tightly covered at room temperature (or if the weather is hot, refrigerate).
-Enjoy!

*Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger on the Food Network*


I'd love to connect with you! Like SavvyChef on facebook and follow Savvy_Chef on instagram. Tag Savvychef in your creations and pin the recipes on pintrest :)



Chocolate Date Bars



Balsamic Fig and Arugula Pizza




2 comments:

  1. I prepared these last night with my kids and they were very easy and fun! I didn't have candied ginger, so I added extra orange zest and we thought they were perfect. Next time I make them I'm going to find the candied ginger to add to it. We rolled them in shredded coconut and the kids thought they were eating snow balls. Such a fun way to get them to eat something healthy but sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I didn't know about the orange and ginger combo, but I figured your recipes have never failed me before so why doubt you now? I'm so glad I tried it out because these truffles are DELICIOUS. I'm about to finish them and I've added figs to my shopping list to remake them asap!

    ReplyDelete