Find it fast!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Arugula Salad (Salatet Jarjeer/ Wild Rocket)




I LOVE THIS SALAD. It's so crispy and tangy and refreshing. This is my staple daily salad that I make my family because my daughter really enjoys it and takes a second serving!

I copied this from various restaurants in Syria. It reminds me of summers with my family in the Middle East, which is partly why I like making it so often. The star of this salad is the sumac. Sumac is a small berry that gets dried and ground into a purple spice with a sour taste. I haven't seen this in chain grocery stores, but it is a standard spice in Middle Eastern markets. The rest of the salad is very simple, especially since the arugula is pre-washed, which makes it an ideal candidate for weeknight dinners.

Serves 4 adults

Ingredients
------------
-1 package arugula leaves
-2 large tomatoes, diced
-4 Persian cucumbers, diced
-2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
-juice of 1 lemon

-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-1 heaping tablespoon sumac (purple colored spice found in Middle Eastern markets)
-salt to taste

Assembly
----------
-In a bowl combine the arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions. Top with lemon juice, olive oil, sumac and salt. Stir to combine and serve immediately to avoid wilting.
-Enjoy :)

3 comments:

  1. What a refreshing salad dressing! I had to track down a Middle Eastern market to find the sumac and now I'm dumping it on everything...salads, sandwiches, pizza...I'm even considering sprinkling it on my coffee, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this with spinach and it was great... Love the sumac!

    ReplyDelete