Find it fast!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Arugula Salad (Salatet Jarjeer/ Wild Rocket)




I LOVE THIS SALAD. It's so crispy and tangy and refreshing. This is my staple daily salad that I make my family because my daughter really enjoys it and takes a second serving!

I copied this from various restaurants in Syria. It reminds me of summers with my family in the Middle East, which is partly why I like making it so often. The star of this salad is the sumac. Sumac is a small berry that gets dried and ground into a purple spice with a sour taste. I haven't seen this in chain grocery stores, but it is a standard spice in Middle Eastern markets. The rest of the salad is very simple, especially since the arugula is pre-washed, which makes it an ideal candidate for weeknight dinners.

Serves 4 adults

Ingredients
------------
-1 package arugula leaves
-2 large tomatoes, diced
-4 Persian cucumbers, diced
-2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
-juice of 1 lemon

-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-1 heaping tablespoon sumac (purple colored spice found in Middle Eastern markets)
-salt to taste

Assembly
----------
-In a bowl combine the arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions. Top with lemon juice, olive oil, sumac and salt. Stir to combine and serve immediately to avoid wilting.
-Enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. What a refreshing salad dressing! I had to track down a Middle Eastern market to find the sumac and now I'm dumping it on everything...salads, sandwiches, pizza...I'm even considering sprinkling it on my coffee, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this with spinach and it was great... Love the sumac!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful recipe!!

    You learnt cooking and eating in Syria. Can't help it, but this salad also makes me feel very sad...

    ReplyDelete